When Russian sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko was interviewed by Time magazine in 1942, she derided the American media.
“One reporter even criticized the length of the skirt of my uniform, saying that in America women wear shorter skirts and besides my uniform made me look fat, ” she said.
The length of skirt probably didn’t matter to the 309 Nazi soldiers Pavlichenko is credited with killing, or to the many Russians she inspired with her bravery and skill.
According to the Financial Times, Pavlichenko was born July 12, 1916, in southern Ukraine and she was a tomboy from the start. Forget playing with dolls, Pavlichenko wanted to hunt sparrows with a catapult; of course she was better at it than most of the boys her age.
When Germany declared war on Russia in 1941, Pavlichenko wanted to fight. But once she got to the front, it wasn’t as easy as she thought it would be.
“I knew my task was to shoot human beings,” she recalled in a Russian paper. “In theory that was fine, but I knew that the real thing would be completely different.” She was right.
Even though Pavlichenko could see the enemy from where she was crouched during her first day on the battlefield, she couldn’t bring herself to fire.
But that all changed when a German shot a young Russian soldier set up near Pavlichenko. “He was such a nice, happy boy,” she said. “And he was killed just next to me. After that, nothing could stop me.”
She is a true inspiration to me and one of the people that I look up to and will continue to remember because of the reason why she fought, for her country, for her family, for her friends, and for her fellow soldier.
- kamiane reblogged this from andarion
- kamiane likes this
- andarion reblogged this from atruepatriot
- briteyesonly likes this
- deadliestbite likes this
- illwriteatragedy likes this
- dragon-guardedxprincess1331 reblogged this from consummecadavres
- dragon-guardedxprincess1331 likes this
- sassygaywill likes this
- disintegrativeruin likes this
- consummecadavres reblogged this from sapphirescales
- sapphirescales reblogged this from atruepatriot
- chrodgangsta reblogged this from dentonsocialists
- chrodgangsta likes this
- readinglist32 reblogged this from dentonsocialists
- readinglist32 likes this
- twentyghosts likes this
- mars-bartlett reblogged this from pragtastic
- pragtastic reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- themagesconfusion reblogged this from atruepatriot
- weathered-the-wrackspurts reblogged this from devochkaa
- serotoninsamba reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- sixeyesfromhell reblogged this from atruepatriot
- pureblog reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- idleoctopus likes this
- sindromedistendhal reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- sindromedistendhal likes this
- lastfaceoftheearth reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- whyareyousodressedup likes this
- hackfleisch1917 likes this
- nanakleinfrankenheim likes this
- neckbearcl likes this
- laurenlivingroom likes this
- serotoninsamba likes this
- mayan-buddhist-confusion likes this
- ryanrecordslife likes this
- quoms reblogged this from xtremecaffeine
- psychobolche reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism and added:
- badndngirl likes this
- liquified-dreams likes this
- keeping-sane reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- daniconil likes this
- allofthestuffandthings likes this
- krupskaya reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- effexordreams reblogged this from mostmodernist
- effexordreams likes this
- king-in-prussia reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- deathandcandy likes this