I submitted this to whoniverse confessions but I couldn’t wait for them to upload.
Wow there’s a shitload of classism in this and I can’t deal with that.
First of all, yes, Martha is accomplished and driven and knows what she wants in life. Or at least, she thinks she does—remember, she does change her plans after life with the Doctor. And in the end, she’s the one with a freelancing job—which is technically not a real job.
Rose is 19 when she meets the Doctor. She’s young and actually does have a real job—she works in a shop, which is a job. She’s not happy, yes, but she is bright and clever and has made lots of very human mistakes in her short life. She’s not made out to be helpless, either—she’s the one who pushed the Doctor for answers, she’s the one who saves his life just because she can, she’s the one who’s thinking about going for her A-levels because she wants more in life.
Donna is a temp. Many, many people temp because they don’t know what they want in life. To suggest that these people don’t have ambitions and desires is wildly close-minded. Donna wants a family. She has a job. Again, this is classist bullshit.
And Amy is a kissogram—essentially she’s a stripper. But she chooses what she does, and she seems to enjoy it—she’s not exactly desperate for money. It’s a job, too. Even if your narrow interpretation of feminism doesn’t allow for selling sex as a means of work.
Martha is fantastic, don’t get me wrong. But this argument is so utterly disgraceful it makes me ashamed to be in this fandom.
Really? You’re going to write-off the women (like me) who haven’t graduated college, who haven’t got fancy qualifications, who haven’t got aspirations to be doctors and lawyers, etc? Because maybe some of us are just as intelligent as the college grads, maybe some of us are just as worth your time, and maybe some of us have experiences and complications that people like Martha Jones haven’t had to deal with.
Rose is lower class and Martha is not. Therein lies a significant obstacle for Rose, and a significant advantage for Martha. It’s just the truth.
I actually have issues with the fact that besides Martha, all of the other companions have fallen victim to the Girl With No Perceivable Goals meme. They may have hopes, dreams, etc, but the show always portrays them as aimless and not knowing what to do with their life until the alien man comes into their life to ~show them the light~. That’s mainly what I take issue with tbh, since it makes it seem as if without the Doctor, these women would remain without any sense of life direction and that their encounter with him is the only way they could grow confident with themselves and make their life goals(whatever they may be) happen.
I feel like there’s a racial element to what you’re saying HBIC.
I mean think about it and the usual narrative that black women are given in comparison to white women.
White women are allowed to be the ditzy, awkward, no real ‘goal’ type.
Black women are only allowed the “work hard and maybe prosper” narrative.
So tying that into who got what job? Rose was a girl who worked retail. Donna was a secretary. Amy was a kiss-o-gram worker. Martha was an MD.
The three aforementioned women essentially got the easy way to save the Doctor in terms of how important they were in the storyline, you know? Rose essentially became God, Donna got to become the Doctor, and Amy clicked her heels 3 times and said “there’s nobody like the Doctor.” Hell, even Jack got the “I can never die” power… What did Martha get? Walking around the world by herself with no resources but her wit.
Straight up feeding into that “gurl, you worked hard cuz that’s what you do!!” narrative that black women seem to ALWAYS get in television shows…
Not that I didn’t love her ability to kick ass and take names. But I feel like she got shafted
- luthienmpl reblogged this from carrylovescurry and added:
- 3milychan reblogged this from carrylovescurry
- look-the-fire-nation-has reblogged this from carrylovescurry
- carrylovescurry reblogged this from orbitingasupernova
- carrylovescurry likes this
- needsmoreginger reblogged this from ahandsomestark
- tooksby likes this
- bradleymort likes this
- fauvette reblogged this from annihilatingfeminine and added:
- annihilatingfeminine reblogged this from karnythia
- annakie likes this
- approximationofthought reblogged this from faethena
- therewasabee likes this
- crochetadventures likes this
- anotherwordformyth likes this
- deducecanoe reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- nerdyhbic reblogged this from sourcedumal and added:
- mykhalasaar likes this
- itsmandytwits likes this
- payslipgig reblogged this from karnythia
- amygdaloidlane likes this
- curiouskitty reblogged this from karnythia
- marlahangup reblogged this from karnythia
- katelucia likes this
- antema reblogged this from karnythia
- blue-jayne likes this
- ahandsomestark reblogged this from karnythia
- talwaar likes this
- karnythia reblogged this from sourcedumal
- badndngirl reblogged this from xtremecaffeine
- xtremecaffeine reblogged this from sourcedumal
- jeasocrazy likes this
- holothuroid likes this
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from sourcedumal and added:
- andibyngbong reblogged this from sonofatimelord and added:
- sourcedumal reblogged this from nerdyhbic and added:
- thehumanywumanygeek likes this
- flobotstardis reblogged this from allofthefandomsaremyotp
- allofthefandomsaremyotp reblogged this from moniisaaksmithvandien and added:
- allofthefandomsaremyotp likes this
- forelsket-blue likes this
- findango likes this
- electric-bluevelvet likes this
- hazel2eyes reblogged this from neli13
- becausemagichappens likes this
- neli13 reblogged this from merrycapaldis
- ichiman likes this
- kailadoronila reblogged this from radgryd