In 1965, LIFE photographer Bill Ray spent three weeks riding with the Hells Angels in California. Here, two women — the Angels’ “old ladies” — hang out at a bar while the Angels attend a meeting.
“This picture feels almost religious to me: The women are drawn to the hot glow of the jukebox god, one bowing her head while the other kneels before it. Bill Ray’s perfect blacks, whites, and greys add to the sense of an upside-down spirituality.” — LIFE’s Editor-in-Chief Bill Shapiro
After looking through thousands of images these past few years, we’ll put it this way: choosing our favorite photographs was not an easy task.
- milkshake-n-honey reblogged this from theswinginsixties and added:
- smileshake reblogged this from theswinginsixties
- swimsuits2012 reblogged this from americanprimitives
- palm-coast-plantation reblogged this from life
- wateringcanuk reblogged this from life
- selectionc reblogged this from life
- slimbay reblogged this from life
- life posted this