People be fair, Richard Dawkins’ ancestor, Henry Dawkins owned 1,013 slaves in Jamaica, that’s nothing to do with him.
oh, it most certainly does. you see, when slaves were brought to the Americas, we worked for centuries without pay. we built this country from the ground up. WITHOUT PAY. when white families during that time worked, or leeched off the work of their slaves, they were paid. when they died, their money went to their surviving family members. when they owned slaves, they acquired thousands of dollars (and especially in his case considering his family owned more than 1,000 slaves) which has been passed down to him.
so when Richard is born in a fucking British colony (Kenya), and moved back to Britain after his father INHERITED an estate (wiki him), this is because of slavery. when Richard lives in a wealthy, safe neighborhood, attends prestigious (even if they are religious) schools in his childhood, and eventually has the money to obtain a PhD at Oxford, it is because he had the MONEY to do so. the MONEY that was obtained THROUGH SLAVERY. he wasn’t working part time at a soup kitchen to put himself through college.
so when he says none of his current fortune has anything to do with his ancestors’ blood money, he lacks the understanding of what, indirectly and directly, got him to the place he is at now. most hard-determinist philosophers will tell you that the idea of a self-made man is a complete farce. and in most cases, especially for white males, they’re absolutely correct.
be fair? read a goddamn book for fucks sake. how well off do you think the descendants of the slaves owned by the Dawkins’ are doing now in Jamaica?
I won’t be surprised if the OP also believes that we should ‘get over’ colonialism and slavery.
zorascreation: Richard Dawkins like most of these butthurt White male Atheists, is a poser and a privilege-denying piece of shit. :|
- onedirectionfacingmecca likes this
- liminalspacestation likes this
- marazione likes this
- i-like-to-obsess reblogged this from womanistgamergirl
- jamilathescylla reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- hamburgerjack reblogged this from deliciouskaek
- hamburgerjack likes this
- wickedkvnt likes this
- preciousdivineenergy likes this
- soulsentwined likes this
- payslipgig reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- bodyentireold likes this
- justcallmepb likes this
- abitharpish likes this
- meronym likes this
- bakethatlinguist likes this
- ottercopter reblogged this from womanistgamergirl
- adamsea likes this
- jemimaaslana reblogged this from karnythia
- reservoircat reblogged this from karnythia
- cutietown likes this
- icecoldangie likes this
- xtremecaffeine reblogged this from biyuti
- thedarkchocolatedandy reblogged this from deliciouskaek and added:
- feminism-atheism reblogged this from womanistgamergirl
- garpusstuff reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- mquester likes this
- deliciouskaek reblogged this from womanistgamergirl
- duhdoydorothy likes this
- karnythia reblogged this from womanistgamergirl
- womanistgamergirl reblogged this from zorascreation
- beautifulqalb likes this
- artemariposa likes this
- ekom-aka-makoma reblogged this from thefemaletyrant
- ekom-aka-makoma likes this
- zorascreation reblogged this from thefemaletyrant and added:
- thefemaletyrant reblogged this from aphotic-eniola and added:
- tenten-ninetyone likes this
- aphotic-eniola reblogged this from electriczara and added:
- electriczara posted this