Some Tentative Conclusions
- The Israeli operation against Gaza was long in the planning. You don’t just suddenly identify thousands of targets and mobilise a large part of your armed forces in a few days.
- The decision to assassinate Ahmed Jabari was taken months if not years ago.
- The assassination of Ahmed Jabari was timed to prevent him concluding a deal for a permanent ceasefire.
- The only weapon Gazans have in their defence are a range of small rockets, many of which have no active warhead. They have no navy, army, tanks, airforce or heavy weaponry of any kind. Israel is using nearly the full range of its arsenal against a largely defenceless and largely civilian population.
- This is as much a psychological as physical war against Hamas and Gazans. The IDF are using the media shield of international news outlets to present this as a war of defence when it is a war of aggression.
- For Israel, as it is with the US drone policy, civilian casualties are ‘collateral damage’ - people who were ‘in the wrong place at the wrong time’. Except that Gazans civilians have no where else to go. They have no bomb shelters. They are sitting ducks.
- Analogies calling Israelis Nazis are inappropriate, unhelpful and wrong on so many levels. Just stop.
- This is not a war of Jews against Muslims. This is a massacre carried out by nationalist fanatics who are seeking to drive out Palestinians from Israel. There are hundreds of thousands of Jews worldwide who abhor and condemn Israel’s action against Gaza as crimes against humanity and war crimes.
- A lasting peace in which a Palestinian State is allowed to flourish and develop is the main objective the Israeli Government is working against. Their idea of peace is a unified Israel that includes the West Bank, Gaza and Golan Heights in which they are permanently the majority. They regard the existence of any form of a Palestinian State in Israel as a betrayal of the vision of the founders of Israel in 1948 and of the Irgun who birthed the nation by terror and occupation.
- It is tragedy when anyone is killed as a result of this utterly contrived and cynically maintained conflict, be they Palestinian or Israeli.
- Benjamin Netanyahu and Ehud Barak should be tried by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. This will never happen because the US Government will block this.
- The Israeli assault on Gaza, and the military state they have imposed on the Palestinian people in general, has been chiefly armed and funded for decades by US and European governments.
- This is not 1948, 1967 or 1973. The Arab world is divided over the Palestinian question. Any reductionism and simplification in this respect leads to the kind of misunderstanding and miscalculation that exacerbates the problem and only serves to hurt the Palestinian people further.
- Not all Israelis support this war or their Government. Far from it.
- This is a massacre. A total war carried out against a largely defenceless people. This is the second ‘cleansing’ of Gaza by Israel in the last five years.
- War and occupation is never the solution to the search for lasting peace. Neither is trying to wipe your ‘enemy’ off the face of the earth.
- The world is watching. This operation has undoubtedly cost Israel its last remaining credibility. Hysterical cries about defending oneself, backed up with justifications that run back to WWII and beyond no longer convince as a moral case for these actions in the present.
- I was born in Israel. I am half Jewish. I am also British. I am disgusted with the Government of Israel. I am also disgusted with the US Government’s tacit support of Israel, as I am with the British Government’s position, as I am with the majority of international media that have aided and abetted the Israeli Government by refusing to properly contextualise this massacre and by their attempts to paint Israel and Hamas as equally responsible for a conflict that has killed 5 Israelis but over 150 Palestinians, most of whom have played no role in attacking Israel.
I’m sure you believe that, “If the arabs put down their weapons today there would be no more violence,” but the fact of the matter is that Arabs did not start the six day war, Arabs did not expel Israelis who had lived their entire lives in Jerusalem, Arabs do not expand illegal settlements, Arabs do not bulldoze Israeli houses, Arabs do not limit food imports into Israel, Arabs didn’t use violence to suppress political speech such as flying a Palestinian flag, and Arabs are not instigating this conflict. The idea that “Israel didn’t fight back,” while they purposefully starved Palestinian civilians is patently absurd. You’re living in the center of human rights abuses and an apartheid state: educate yourself before you support bombing whole neighborhoods of human beings.
If you want to know what Palestinian life would become if they were to disarm, look no further than North America’s Lakota tribe. Without international intervention, the Palestinians face the same fate.
E: some folks are having trouble with the first link, here’s a second source.
This is just a fraction of what the media doesn’t show you.
Taken from the documentary, Occupation 101
Did you know that recent surveys made by Child Psychologists, have shown that 80% of Palestinian children have lost the will to live?
I bet your government didn’t tell you that.
Member of the Abu Ali Mustafa Brigades, armed wing of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), on patrol in occupied Gaza.
Che Guevara in Gaza.
Malcolm X with the early leaders of the Palestine Liberation Organisation.
“How can you thank a man for giving you what’s already yours? How then can you thank him for giving you only part of what is yours?”
“The Zionist argument to justify Israel’s present occupation of Arab Palestine has no intelligent or legal basis in history.”
An elderly man and a Palestinian militant from Hamas fire in the air as they celebrate Hamas’ capture of the Preventive Security headquarters in fighting with Fatah loyalist security forces in Gaza City, Thursday, June 14, 2007.
Palestinian militants from Hamas fire in the air as they celebrate their capture of the Preventive Security headquarters from Fatah loyalist security forces during fighting in Gaza City, Thursday, June 14, 2007. Hamas fighters overran one of the rival Fatah movement’s most important security installations in the Gaza Strip on Thursday, and witnesses said the victors dragged vanquished gunmen from the building and executed them in the street. The capture of the Preventive Security headquarters was a major step forward in Hamas’ attempts to complete its takeover of all of Gaza
"Israel has been regularly attacking Palestinian fishermen within the purported 3 nautical mile fishing limit. The livelihood of many Gazans relies on fishing and Israel has been using live ammunition and water cannons to prevent fishermen from doing their work. We will continue to go out with the Palestinians and document human rights violations, despite the powerful threats we and Gazan fishermen face."
Joe Catron, an American human rights worker aboard the Oliva ..
_The Israeli navy attacked Civil Peace Service Gaza volunteers along with international press and Palestinian fishermen today. One of the Israeli ships targeted the boats with high pressure water cannons.Meanwhile, a small naval boat approached the Oliva and hit it from behind, stopping the boat and causing serious damage to the engine. The crew aboard the Oliva was evacuated to other boats and all the boats at sea were forced to turn back.
Pakistan demonstration in solidarity with Gaza