When someone says “check your privilege” the correct response is not
- I have freedom of speech
- You’re just stating your opinion
- Stop harassing me
- I’m not sexist/racist but…
- Stop being such a bitch
- Everything you say is just opinion anyway
- well you’re just wrong
- omg bitch
The correct response is:
- Thank you for pointing that out
- I will work on that
- Can you point me in the direction of some articles or resources?
- I’ve not thought of it that way before
- I will be more conscious from now on
THAT explains things!!
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad."
Terry Pratchett (via greaterthanlapsed)
The misuse of “literally” is one of my pet peeves.