madelione just posted this on my Facebook wall
I just died
I am dead
Video: What Kind of Asian are you?
OH MY GOSH.
I LOST IT AT “BUBBLE BUBBLE TOIL AND TROUBLE.”
THIS IS HOW PEOPLE REACT WHEN THEY FIGURE OUT MY DAD IS FROM ENGLAND. WTF. When they start talking about fucking tea and crumpets in an AUSTRALIAN ACCENT or a SCOTTISH ACCENT. Straight up wanna deck their ass.
did you just take a post examining the racism behind white ppl’s treatment of asian women (particularly white men fetishizing asian women)
and turn it into
OMFG THIS SPEAKS TO MY EUROPEAN ROOTS PEOPLE NEED TO SHUT UP AND DIE FOR TREATING WHITE PPL THIS WAY
Okay, to be honest. It doesn’t matter WHAT your talking about. If your asian, british, native american, hispanic, african, whatever you are. When someone begins stereotyping you it’s pretty insulting. This could literally apply to anything. The idea is that “Oh hey, stereotyping is stupid and insulting in any circumstance so why don’t you NOT do it before I sass you into tears.”
I am really surprised it took three fucking weeks for the “what about the white people” tears to start flowing
because dear white people:
this isn’t about fucking “omfg where are you geographically from let me stereotype you”
THE POINT WAS
THE WOMAN IN THE VIDEO IS NOT GEOGRAPHICALLY FROM ANYWHERE BUT AMERICA
The woman in the video is ETHNICALLY ASIAN
THAT IS THE REASON WHY THE WHITE DUDE WAS ASKING THOSE QUESTIONS
if it was about “oh geographic location” then THE SATIRE WOULD BE ENTIRELY LOST
THE POINT IS
WHITE MEN APPROACH ASIAN WOMEN WITH THIS IDEA THAT
“OH GOOD LORD I CAN TOTALLY GET IN YOUR PANTS BY KNOWING ABOUT YOUR CULTURE”
except it’s like
a) that’s not my culture
b) I’m fucking american
c) and I’m asian
d) but just because I’m asian doesn’t mean I’m going to fuck you just because you’re spouting the equivalent of an ask jeeves response to “what is korea”
At a medicine shop near Temple Street. In Kowloon, Hong Kong
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please check underneath any form of cardboard box before you take a shit in it.
If you’re with a PMC, it might just save your life, and you’ll save some poor unsuspecting mercenary’s dignity.
And don’t buy this for anybody at Christmas, unless you want everybody to hate you. Unless you were in Rat Patrol, in which case you should get one for Akiba. It even comes in camo.
White privilege is the upcoming movie The Impossibles about a white family living through the 2004 South Asian tsunami.
lol what this is a ridiculous concept for a film
Dear Non-Asian People: Yes, fetishizing Asian people is racist.
Apparently, this is still being debated. But let me outline it for you again:
1. There’s a history of making “Asians” (as in, “people with dark hair, almond shaped eyes, whose ethnic background comes from one bigass continent) into one homogenous group. This is super racist, because, let’s be real here: despite what you learned in 7th grade geography, Asia is a big ass and diverse CONTINENT. NOT. A. COUNTRY.
2. In fact, if we want to be technical here, “Asia” includes parts of Russia and Turkey. Two countries which are definitely not grouped with the traditional “Asian” category. Why? Because they don’t look like a stereotypical Asian. And also, South east Asians (i.e.: Indians and other desi people) are considered Asian as well. Only, they’re distinguished and not what people automatically think of when they say “Asian.” Sort of like how Eastern Europeans are considered Europeans but also somehow not.
3. And while we’re on the topic, what are you fetishizing here? Because, as an Asian woman, I’ve heard really fucking racist/stereotyping “compliments” around three things:
- my eyes
- my skin
- my hair
And to be frank, saying “Oh hey, I love your eyes. They are so exotic” is no better (and actually, arguably, historically and politically more offensive) than a cis-gendered dude saying “Oh hey, I love your tits. They’re so womanly.” Because, bitch, who are you to define what “womanly” means?
4. So then there’s also the ideology surrounding Asians and Asian fetishes. For women, it’s all about “Oh, how submissive and light skinned and exotic, like having my own geisha kung fu princess jasmine harem girl all in one!” Which is absolutely fucking ridiculous because it is like saying, “Oh yay, I get my own spicy señorita french kissing german milkmaid swedish model all in one!” Bitch. We. Be. Different.
5. And also, let’s be real here: If your “fascination with Asian culture” basically means “I watch a lot of anime and masturbate to hentai and wish I I had a cute schoolgirl/effeminate school boy of my own to tie up,” you don’t have a fascination with Asian culture. I mean, for one, there IS NO homogenous Asian culture. For two, even if there was, there is no way that fucking Sailor Moon would be a cultural relic of said ethnic group. I am sorry, it is hilarious, but there is no way you can tell me that it’s somehow a gateway into the mysterious and exotic world of the Orient.
6. That last sentence was sarcasm, by the way. Never ever use any of the adjectives I just listed above unless you want to get bitchslapped. No, not roundhouse kicked. We Asians reserve that shit for bigger issues.
7. And Asian culture isn’t just sushi or kung pao chicken or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Like I said, saying “Asian Culture” is like saying “European culture.” What the fuck does that even mean? Then again, maybe this is a bad analogy for Americans. I’m pretty sure that we’ve been conditioned to believe that every single European ever will speak fluent English in a French or British accent. Always.
8. That being said: fetishization is objectification. It’s putting an ENTIRE ETHNIC GROUP (which, by the way, shouldn’t even be grouped together in the first place because IT REPRESENTS A HUGE ASS CONTINENT OF DIVERSE PEOPLE WITH DIVERSE BACKGROUNDS) into one tiny little box and saying, “I like you because of my preconceived notions about what your culture and appearance should be. I find it sexually exciting that you have a list of characteristics which are not only inaccurate, but also steeped in racism and oppression.”
…So, long story short: Even if you think you’re flattering me, if you have an Asian fetish, YOU. ARE. BEING. RACIST.
If you are not part of said ethnic group: there is no such thing as a positive racial stereotype.
Steven Moffat responds to the Beatles + Doctor post
Watching The Little Mermaid 2
Ariel…What the fuck is wrong with your neck woman?!
The unexplainable paradox of Disney fans
- White person: This version of Hercules is pretty inaccurate, see here? Also, hey did you know about the original fairy tales and how fucked up they were?
- All the other white disney fans: LMAO SO TRUE BUT YOU GOTTA LOVE IT! Also, that is soooo interesting!
- POC: Yo, this portrayal of a minority culture/woman/princess is so fucking racist. Here's some literature on the subject
- All the white disney fans: OMG YOU'RE RUINING DISNEY AND SHUT UP IT'S JUST A KIDDY MOVIE WTF WTF WTF.
- Reasonable person: But, they are just kiddy movies. As much controversy as you wanna throw onto them, they don't teach our children poor values or hate. If anything, they teach kids love and to believe in magic their whole lives. I'm thankful for the Disney movies, and I think there are other things people should be focusing on besides slight controversy in a movie company.
- Response: are you fucking kidding me? Enforcing stereotypes to the point where kids believe "Native American" means being some type of magical creature so in tune with nature that concepts like "wealth" and "gold" are foreign? And also, that Chinese society is so oppressive, you need to rebel in order to get accolades as a woman? Or were you talking about how awesome it is that Jasmine's body was so exotified that if she was a real person, she would have to walk on all fours because her waist couldn't support her upper body? Or did you think characterizing "Arabian society" as a place where they'll cut off your ear if they don't like your face, and as a "barbaric place" is somehow not at all controversial and xenophobic?
I hate you microsoft paint…. I think i’m going to try windows media player instead.
I hate you Winamp…. I think I’m going to try Steam instead. >:(
I hate you Firefox…I think I’m going to try iTunes instead.
I hate you Windows… I thin k I’m going to try Gas Central Heating instead
Follow Up of the Day: A few hours after press secretary Jay Carney told reporters the White House is “not going to wade into a local law-enforcement matter,” the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice and the FBI both announced that they will yield to requests to investigate the shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin.
“The department will conduct a thorough and independent review of all of the evidence and take appropriate action at the conclusion of the investigation,” said the DOJ in a statement.
Despite moving forward with the investigation, the Justice Department sought in the same statement to temper expectations: “With all federal civil rights crimes, the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person acted intentionally and with the specific intent to do something which the law forbids — the highest level of intent in criminal law.”
One of the major impediments to an open-and-shut manslaughter case against Martin’s killer, George Zimmerman, is Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which permits residents to “meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm.”
Zimmerman told police that Martin attacked him from behind as he was walking back towards his truck, and it was fear for his life that prompted him to fire his Kel Tec 9mm handgun.
In addition to the DOJ and the FBI, Florida’s state attorney, Norm Wolfinger, announced this morning that a grand jury will be called to investigate the case. “I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin,” said Wolfinger in a press release. The grand jury will convene on April 10th.
Also this morning, ABC News revealed that Martin was on the phone with a female friend moments before he was shot by Zimmerman. The 16-year-old girl spoke with Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump, and recalled their final conversation.
“He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man,” the unidentified girl is quoted as saying. “I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run.”
The last thing she remembers is Martin trying to escape by running, but being cornered by Zimmerman who asked him what he was doing there. “Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell,” she said. “I called him again and he didn’t answer the phone.”
In an effort to drive home the racial motivation behind Zimmerman’s actions, Touré pointed to the self-appointed neighborhood watch captain’s 911 call, where, at 2:21, it sounds as though Zimmerman is whispering “f*ckin’ coons.” After listening to Zimmerman’s exchange with the emergency dispatcher, New York Times columnist Nick Kristof said he found “shades of 1950’s Mississippi” in the tape.